The Test Server

Anything related to the test server.

Re: The Test Server

Postby PARAMOUNT » Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:16 pm

SirMirin wrote:hey sik kunts, cnut here it worth playing this shit or is test server not worth testing, i dont know aint played test server = ever.

y u mad gimmeh the info.

Is there anyway to block these forum troll bots?

And what.
Be ready. Be great.
PARAMOUNT
SD Four Star
SD Four Star

Postby MCG » Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:22 pm

I personally don't think it is, its been stale and boring since december 2010. Effectively nothing of value has been added to the server, and its pretty much a dying project to be completely honest with you. Not even trolling or putting SD down, but it is, im sorry, but this games been in development for like 4 or 5 years now? This 2D Isometric game. A few weeks ago Dan and Finito had a pretty large bust up and the players were effectively told not to be holding their breath about anything, now we have this 'council' and im still not sure wtf is happening.

Server should have been wiped and released over a year ago at 1.5x rates. Why work on all the end game content (like 250+ str mobs) when its gunna take atleast a year to get past level 60 anyway. Its only logical to work on the starting content of the game, then add the end game content later, gives the developers more time.

Little rant over, but yeah, i really dont have much faith left in SD.

*edit* Inb4 they've been working on vital game systems and engines, and client work and other such bullshit.
@Coonan
@Chasm
@Dark_Lucifer
Test server retired

New crafting based website
Still in production <- Mostly abandoned, will complete when SomaDev official launches <3
MCG
SD Pro 5 Star
SD Pro 5 Star

Postby Ero » Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:56 pm

MCG wrote:I personally don't think it is, its been stale and boring since december 2010. Effectively nothing of value has been added to the server, and its pretty much a dying project to be completely honest with you. Not even trolling or putting SD down, but it is, im sorry, but this games been in development for like 4 or 5 years now? This 2D Isometric game. A few weeks ago Dan and Finito had a pretty large bust up and the players were effectively told not to be holding their breath about anything, now we have this 'council' and im still not sure wtf is happening.

Server should have been wiped and released over a year ago at 1.5x rates. Why work on all the end game content (like 250+ str mobs) when its gunna take atleast a year to get past level 60 anyway. Its only logical to work on the starting content of the game, then add the end game content later, gives the developers more time.

Little rant over, but yeah, i really dont have much faith left in SD.

*edit* Inb4 they've been working on vital game systems and engines, and client work and other such bullshit.

This... nothing else i can add really you've got it all spot on.
Ero
SD Five Star
SD Five Star

Postby arcanine » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:27 pm

Except he isn't spot on, as much as it seems that way

in the last few months development wise we've had/are being built:
  • new recolour tool to quickly change armour colours
  • wool converter to quickly convert wool items/magics to soma
  • standard extension to provide enhanced functionality for all pservers
  • specially enhanced PVP server that is going to officially become the PVP server to the main server

and yes also the client work which you may believe is not very important
but if you have two monitors, windows 8, a interest in running the client in 32bit mode or finally going beyond
800x600 Finito's work may interest you:
Spoiler: show

A modern client means we can attract new players it's a vital part of the puzzle but that's not to say that's all that's going on

This is actually the fastest development has gone for years we're in a really exciting time, our team is working well together and we're seeing new features in our extension every week, once we've got the PVP ready we'll push that out and really experiment and I mean game play experiments not technical experiments, what we learn we can apply to the main server in the long term

There is stuff going on all the time, if you need to know what it is, it's always worth dropping in to IRC and asking finito/ramy/remix/isylver/miser/myself what they're up to, we don't always get the news out to the forums as much as we'd like to

I'll see if I can get some screenr's of the PVP server over the weekend we've got some really neat stuff going on thanks to remix/ramy/miser

MCG wrote:Server should have been wiped and released over a year ago at 1.5x rates. Why work on all the end game content (like 250+ str mobs) when its gunna take atleast a year to get past level 60 anyway. Its only logical to work on the starting content of the game, then add the end game content later, gives the developers more time.

I don't why players keep pushing for a wipe, what happens a year down the line when the server is "stale" again?
We're currently experimenting with features on the PVP server that make it less about who has played the longest
and more about skill, we're talking about pos transfer on pk, perma death for characters who have been pked, exp on pk, pick your own pvp build by choosing your stats one by one, achievements, and a lottery system where you can win rare items merely by playing, even if you're standing in town talking, no pk in certain areas, measures to prevent camping

We've still got features like rarity indicators and spell books/aura books/upgrades/spawns/and numerous other features to go but we're getting there it'll all come together eventually
arcanine
SD Pro 5 Star
SD Pro 5 Star

Postby cyanide » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:54 pm

If thats stuff happens its gonna be awesome ^^
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
Albert Einstein
cyanide
SD Two Star
SD Two Star

Postby Joshy » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:11 pm

cyanide wrote:If thats stuff happens its gonna be awesome ^^

I agree... If what arc says above is true, which he would not lie, then eventually this could become something very unique and very successful...

But now that you have exposed a lot of the idea/in test stuff, maybe it would be a good idea to make a sticky on the forum keeping people up to date with stuff that has and hasn't yet been tested, and how far into testing these things are... I'm not asking for an ETA of release etc, just that we MAY be kept up to date with this sort of stuff...
Awaiting a decent long term official server...
Joshy
SD Pro 2 Star
SD Pro 2 Star

Postby Ero » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:24 pm

arcanine wrote:Except he isn't spot on, as much as it seems that way

in the last few months development wise we've had/are being built:
  • new recolour tool to quickly change armour colours
  • wool converter to quickly convert wool items/magics to soma
  • standard extension to provide enhanced functionality for all pservers
  • specially enhanced PVP server that is going to officially become the PVP server to the main server

and yes also the client work which you may believe is not very important
but if you have two monitors, windows 8, a interest in running the client in 32bit mode or finally going beyond
800x600 Finito's work may interest you:
Spoiler: show

A modern client means we can attract new players it's a vital part of the puzzle but that's not to say that's all that's going on

This is actually the fastest development has gone for years we're in a really exciting time, our team is working well together and we're seeing new features in our extension every week, once we've got the PVP ready we'll push that out and really experiment and I mean game play experiments not technical experiments, what we learn we can apply to the main server in the long term

There is stuff going on all the time, if you need to know what it is, it's always worth dropping in to IRC and asking finito/ramy/remix/isylver/miser/myself what they're up to, we don't always get the news out to the forums as much as we'd like to

I'll see if I can get some screenr's of the PVP server over the weekend we've got some really neat stuff going on thanks to remix/ramy/miser

MCG wrote:Server should have been wiped and released over a year ago at 1.5x rates. Why work on all the end game content (like 250+ str mobs) when its gunna take atleast a year to get past level 60 anyway. Its only logical to work on the starting content of the game, then add the end game content later, gives the developers more time.

I don't why players keep pushing for a wipe, what happens a year down the line when the server is "stale" again?
We're currently experimenting with features on the PVP server that make it less about who has played the longest
and more about skill, we're talking about pos transfer on pk, perma death for characters who have been pked, exp on pk, pick your own pvp build by choosing your stats one by one, achievements, and a lottery system where you can win rare items merely by playing, even if you're standing in town talking, no pk in certain areas, measures to prevent camping

We've still got features like rarity indicators and spell books/aura books/upgrades/spawns/and numerous other features to go but we're getting there it'll all come together eventually

Sounds good but guarantee this is all another 4 years away...
Ero
SD Five Star
SD Five Star

Postby ghostlord » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:49 pm

There's 5+ developers working on this. It's happening one way or another.
Leader of The_Empire
@Ghostlord - Test server Pos King
@Phawaka - Retired human

Proud board member and mod of Somadev. Play fair, be nice!
Show your love for Soma, tell your friends about it!

Somadev - Blade of Heaven - 31st of August
ghostlord
SD Pro 5 Star
SD Pro 5 Star

Postby iSylver » Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:36 am

Admittedly I haven't been involved in soma as much as I would have liked. However the work I've seen done by the team have been great I've heard great things about the pvp server which will get my full support if needed.

Contact ingame:
@iSylver
SOMADEV
iSylver
SomaDev Staff

Postby unvmeh » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:22 am

I can say for one that the amount of work thats being done is alot,

log on to irc any time of the day there will be someone on doing something fact.

Ramy,Miser.Remix and Arcanine have made a huge impact on the development of this server.
........./´¯/)
......../¯..//
......./..../ /
./´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸
/'/.../..../......./¨¯\
('(...´(..´......,~/'...')
.\.................\/..../
..\.......... _.·´/
...\..............(
....\.............\
.....\.UNVMEH.\
unvmeh