The Test Server

Anything related to the test server.

Re: The Test Server

Postby lee » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:57 pm

Joshy wrote:
cyanide wrote:If thats stuff happens its gonna be awesome ^^

I agree... If what arc says above is true, which he would not lie, then eventually this could become something very unique and very successful...

maybe it would be a good idea to make a sticky on the forum keeping people up to date with stuff that has and hasn't yet been tested
lee
SD Pro 2 Star
SD Pro 2 Star

Postby MCG » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:49 am

Server side adding all these tools, sure thing, well done, im sure from a designers point of view adding all these gimmicks and time saving tools to help reduce long term development time make you very wet in the vaginas. From a player perspective, we really couldn't care.

@Arcanine - Why do players keep asking for a wipe? because they want to play soma, theres more content on SomaDev than there ever was on Esoma, yet that kept players interested for years.
@Coonan
@Chasm
@Dark_Lucifer
Test server retired

New crafting based website
Still in production <- Mostly abandoned, will complete when SomaDev official launches <3
MCG
SD Pro 5 Star
SD Pro 5 Star

Postby SirMirin » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:37 am

appreciate peoples replies on this subject, looks like the test server could be nemesis server coming 2015.

guess its not worth playing, dont understand however why they would not release server now if they are working on endgame contact and who cares about a pvp server instant pvp character? whats the point in that rather build my character from the ground up.
SirMirin

Postby MCG » Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:08 am

just look at the state of the forums, people have pretty much entirely lost faith in SomaDev because of the ridiculous amount of development which has gone into a game which people were already happy with in the first place. E-soma had its flaws but thats what made it shine. Games been in development for like 5 years now, trust me on this, get the server released this month and just watch as the popularity increases and how happy the player base will be.

The community has only been declining over the last 2 years or so, and its only going to get worse from here. This is a relatively hot topic in my opinion, and the fact that not one reply has been in this thread over the last 7 days or so says enough about the community. I appreciate that Dan has things going on in his personal life which may take priority over SomaDev right now, but seriously, if you guys actually want to turn SomaDev Game Development into some sort of long term profitable organisation, pull your fingers out and just get something released already. The foundations for Soma have been in place for years, sort out the security, sort out the client (to avoid hacks etc), reset the rates to 1.5x and just release the Fudgesticking game already.

Yes, i realise this is very harsh, but i've literally given up on this project, and im pretty confident that a large proportion of the community feel the same way. I've logged on the test servers lately, and to be frank, the test server is a massive pile of dog sh1t, the end game content is crap and filler, and the community is absolute farmville faggotry, yet the user count is relatively decent. If people actually find that shit entertaining (which, they seem to) then the real server should have an absolute boom on the usercount.

TLDR: Just sort it out and get it released already, this has been a ridiculous amount of development time between 2 people for an already mostly developed 2D isometric game.
@Coonan
@Chasm
@Dark_Lucifer
Test server retired

Still in production <- Mostly abandoned, will complete when SomaDev official launches <3
MCG
SD Pro 5 Star
SD Pro 5 Star

Postby iSylver » Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:35 am

MCG wrote:just look at the state of the forums, people have pretty much entirely lost faith in SomaDev because of the ridiculous amount of development which has gone into a game which people were already happy with in the first place. E-soma had its flaws but thats what made it shine. Games been in development for like 5 years now, trust me on this, get the server released this month and just watch as the popularity increases and how happy the player base will be.

The community has only been declining over the last 2 years or so, and its only going to get worse from here. This is a relatively hot topic in my opinion, and the fact that not one reply has been in this thread over the last 7 days or so says enough about the community. I appreciate that Dan has things going on in his personal life which may take priority over SomaDev right now, but seriously, if you guys actually want to turn SomaDev Game Development into some sort of long term profitable organisation, pull your fingers out and just get something released already. The foundations for Soma have been in place for years, sort out the security, sort out the client (to avoid hacks etc), reset the rates to 1.5x and just release the Fudgesticking game already.

Yes, i realise this is very harsh, but i've literally given up on this project, and im pretty confident that a large proportion of the community feel the same way. I've logged on the test servers lately, and to be frank, the test server is a massive pile of dog sh1t, the end game content is crap and filler, and the community is absolute farmville faggotry, yet the user count is relatively decent. If people actually find that shit entertaining (which, they seem to) then the real server should have an absolute boom on the usercount.

TLDR: Just sort it out and get it released already, this has been a ridiculous amount of development time between 2 people for an already mostly developed 2D isometric game.

With the greatest respect, the tools to create your very own esoma base are available on this forum, My primary goal was to keep soma alive by hosting these forums, tools etc. As for the server I think we've made it clear enough times that it may not ever happen and if it does there isn't an ETA.

I personally don't intend to make any profit from soma in fact most years it ends up making a loss which I'm happy to soak up providing development continues and players enjoy it.

Admittedly the test server is of no use at the moment until Finito has finished his client.

I appreciate the concern but the tools are here for you to do what we are and I don't feel that we should be seen as any "last hope".

Contact ingame:
@iSylver
SOMADEV
iSylver
SomaDev Staff

Postby MCG » Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:14 am

iSylver wrote:As for the server I think we've made it clear enough times that it may not ever happen and if it does there isn't an ETA.

For what purpose though? There isn't much content needed, the content is pretty much there, my point being the only possible reasons i can imagine you couldn't actually release the server are about server stability, security and game client security (preventing hacking). The frames there, do bear in mind, at 1.5x rates, it'll take months and months, maybe even years for players to even hit level 60+, giving you guys plenty of extra development time.
iSylver wrote:I personally don't intend to make any profit from soma in fact most years it ends up making a loss which I'm happy to soak up providing development continues and players enjoy it.

Thats my point though, you could actually turn over some revenue from soma, you have a reliable community, when you release the server, add in some vanity items for a £1.00 paypal donation and you've instantly made a ton of extra revenue just by adding E.G new hair styles or weapon enchant visuals (no game changers e.g. stats).
@Coonan
@Chasm
@Dark_Lucifer
Test server retired

MCG
SD Pro 5 Star
SD Pro 5 Star

Postby ghostlord » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:06 pm

MCG wrote:
iSylver wrote:As for the server I think we've made it clear enough times that it may not ever happen and if it does there isn't an ETA.

For what purpose though? There isn't much content needed, the content is pretty much there, my point being the only possible reasons i can imagine you couldn't actually release the server are about server stability, security and game client security (preventing hacking). The frames there, do bear in mind, at 1.5x rates, it'll take months and months, maybe even years for players to even hit level 60+, giving you guys plenty of extra development time.
iSylver wrote:I personally don't intend to make any profit from soma in fact most years it ends up making a loss which I'm happy to soak up providing development continues and players enjoy it.

Thats my point though, you could actually turn over some revenue from soma, you have a reliable community, when you release the server, add in some vanity items for a £1.00 paypal donation and you've instantly made a ton of extra revenue just by adding E.G new hair styles or weapon enchant visuals (no game changers e.g. stats).

For what purpose? What would happen if they gave an eta for early this year 3 years ago and it didn't happen? Or maybe 2015, would you stick around?

ESoma balancing, botting and corruption was the pinnacle of bad things that happened on Soma.

Noone has paid for soma since ESoma. Noone knows for sure if people are willing to, I know I aint. Money doesn't speed up the developing either, Soma is a special case and the people on the jobs are the best ones, money can only hire people to make you a new game or it'll take a year to bring them up to speed with Soma.

People play soma because it's Soma. It's not hard to make an ESoma server, why don't you do it? There's plenty of tools around.

People keep coming back to Somadev like it should save, yet the most work being done for it is released to the public, like the new extention, updated server files and the new client that is coming.
Leader of The_Empire
@Ghostlord - Test server Pos King
@Phawaka - Retired human

Proud board member and mod of Somadev. Play fair, be nice!
Show your love for Soma, tell your friends about it!

Somadev - Blade of Heaven - 31st of August
ghostlord
SD Pro 5 Star
SD Pro 5 Star

Postby MCG » Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:03 pm

ghostlord wrote:For what purpose? What would happen if they gave an eta for early this year 3 years ago and it didn't happen? Or maybe 2015, would you stick around?

ESoma balancing, botting and corruption was the pinnacle of bad things that happened on Soma.

Noone has paid for soma since ESoma. Noone knows for sure if people are willing to, I know I aint. Money doesn't speed up the developing either, Soma is a special case and the people on the jobs are the best ones, money can only hire people to make you a new game or it'll take a year to bring them up to speed with Soma.

People play soma because it's Soma. It's not hard to make an ESoma server, why don't you do it? There's plenty of tools around.

People keep coming back to Somadev like it should save, yet the most work being done for it is released to the public, like the new extention, updated server files and the new client that is coming.

Ok so out of these 3 pinnacles of bad things, how many of them have actually been solved, i mean, over the last 4 years of development for SomaDev? Thats my point, these things should have been prioritised and SD could have been released years and years ago. You and dan keep pushing the 'Why dont you do it' - because i dont want to do it? Im not the person that created a website based around soma and made the plan to actually create a long term server, i primarily would guess that Dan and Finito did all this because they WANT to, for Dans future career as far as im aware, im pretty sure all of the stuff he does for Soma is relevant to the degree he has just received.

As far as payment goes, I myself would be more than happy to even pay a subscription fee for soma, and i know atleast 6 people in real life, more over the internet, who wouldn't mind paying a £5.00 subscription fee to get a soma experience like we had back in the day on e-soma. Thats a Fudgesticking subscription fee, id be willing to pay that monthly, for this 2D isometric game, when a game like WoW costs only a few more pounds per month, as would others - if you get some vanity items ingame for sale, Dan could easily make a few £100's just from things like hair styles, weapon enchantment glows, things like guild housing as a premium feature, or even user interface things (The things dans been messing around with). Its simple business, it would literally be a shame NOT to implement these things, if for nothing more than to cover the cost of dan and finito's time investment into the project.
@Coonan
@Chasm
@Dark_Lucifer
Test server retired

MCG
SD Pro 5 Star
SD Pro 5 Star

Postby Ero » Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:14 pm

I agree with everything you're saying MCG but i gave up voicing my opinion on this ages ago, nothing we say is gonna get the server released any sooner. It seems that the development team just get a thrill out of working on new things for soma (a lot of which aren't even needed) working on soma is just a hobby for them I don't think they have any real intention of releasing an official server and letting the players appreciate the work they've put in.
Ero
SD Five Star
SD Five Star

Postby ghostlord » Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:14 pm

MCG wrote:Ok so out of these 3 pinnacles of bad things, how many of them have actually been solved, i mean, over the last 4 years of development for SomaDev? Thats my point, these things should have been prioritised and SD could have been released years and years ago. You and dan keep pushing the 'Why dont you do it' - because i dont want to do it? Im not the person that created a website based around soma and made the plan to actually create a long term server, i primarily would guess that Dan and Finito did all this because they WANT to, for Dans future career as far as im aware, im pretty sure all of the stuff he does for Soma is relevant to the degree he has just received.

As far as payment goes, I myself would be more than happy to even pay a subscription fee for soma, and i know atleast 6 people in real life, more over the internet, who wouldn't mind paying a £5.00 subscription fee to get a soma experience like we had back in the day on e-soma. Thats a Fudgesticking subscription fee, id be willing to pay that monthly, for this 2D isometric game, when a game like WoW costs only a few more pounds per month, as would others - if you get some vanity items ingame for sale, Dan could easily make a few £100's just from things like hair styles, weapon enchantment glows, things like guild housing as a premium feature, or even user interface things (The things dans been messing around with). Its simple business, it would literally be a shame NOT to implement these things, if for nothing more than to cover the cost of dan and finito's time investment into the project.

There are a lot of people currently working on Soma, none of them are in it for the money. The moment Soma becomes about money I will gaurentee it will die out or change so much you would never ever get the same value in memories. ESoma was ESoma, even without a lot of changes we can't replace those memories only make new ones with the tools we have (or make the tools in some cases).

If you feel like you can do a similar project, go ahead, go for it. I wish you good luck. Just don't blaim other people for not sacrificing the amount of free time you would. Also, untill proven otherwise I've yet to see someone better than the current guys working on it.

I myself will try my very best to add value to the soma community, what about you?
Leader of The_Empire
@Ghostlord - Test server Pos King
@Phawaka - Retired human

Proud board member and mod of Somadev. Play fair, be nice!
Show your love for Soma, tell your friends about it!

Somadev - Blade of Heaven - 31st of August
ghostlord
SD Pro 5 Star
SD Pro 5 Star

PreviousNext

Return to Test Server