Change the same old soma grind

Errors on the forum? - Post Here

Re: Change the same old soma grind

Postby kovaras » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:04 pm

flin n islyer clearly know what there doing with mob spawns and stats by now, im sure its 2nd nature 2 them, how long would such a thing really take 2 people who have been playing with the db for about 10 years? i would suggest this is a weekend long job for them.

what twitch is banging on about simply has no baring on weather this is a good or bad idea lol. The new game feel is what we need. this has been discussed again n again n again over dif servers as one of the most popular ideas, litrilly same idea brought up again n again n again... who here can say that this is the first time this has been suggested?

yet it gets brought up time after time, and as of now know one has yet done it.

now imagine you have a good dev team like somadev, who could make it happen, would it really take them so long that it couldnt be done in time?

as of the player base, it is small, same 50 or so players going around the dif servers. Somadev has a chance to change that. Infact a would say (hope anyway) that this will have atleast a couple of 100 active players) I just dont see any practical reason why this carnt be done, and i dont see any good arguements as to why anyone wouldnt want it done even if they done care that it doesnt get done
kovaras
SD One Star
SD One Star

Postby ghostlord » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:10 pm

Corrupt wrote:
ghostlord wrote:However, Sylver has decided months ago that the time to do this is not available due to the amount of bug-fixing required.

That's a blatant lie.

kovaras wrote:no i get it, but its not true, most people who are still around looking for soma servers have played alot of server to date still looking for that euro some feeling again. And this suggestion gives just a little bit of that feeling back, having to explore and trail things again.

I played <10 and I don't think I'm a casual player. If they can't attract a decent proportion of the ex ESoma usercount who've played <3 pservers properly it's doomed.

How do you know it's a lie? There was no info on this outside the board. I might look up a post about it if I can find it but frankly with your attitude I don't see a need to prove myself.

Also with bugs I don't mean content bugs, I mean the bugs that are being solved NOW.
Leader of The_Empire
@Ghostlord - Test server Pos King
@Phawaka - Retired human

Proud board member and mod of Somadev. Play fair, be nice!
Show your love for Soma, tell your friends about it!

Somadev - Blade of Heaven - 31st of August
ghostlord
SD Pro 5 Star
SD Pro 5 Star

Postby Corrupt » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:54 pm

ghostlord wrote:How do you know it's a lie? There was no info on this outside the board. I might look up a post about it if I can find it but frankly with your attitude I don't see a need to prove myself.

If he seriously wanted to do a total revamp it'd take less than a week.

As a board member you are meant to be setting an example by not resorting to personal attacks.
Corrupt
SD Pro 5 Star
SD Pro 5 Star

Postby ManCheck » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:40 pm

I for 1 would be concerned that this type of whole scale alteration to the game may change that good old "Soma feel" I get from playing. Of course it would be fantastic to experience the game again as when it was new, exploring new maps, wondering if that Xenomorph will 1 hit me, getting blinded and confused in D3. But at the same time I now like the fact I know what I'm doing. P servers that have made lots of changes in the lvling guide just didn't float my boat as much as the bare bones ones. I can only speak for myself, but I would rather it left as is and hope there will be some excitement and adventure in newer content.
ManCheck
SD Three Star
SD Three Star

Postby kovaras » Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:15 pm

ManCheck wrote:I for 1 would be concerned that this type of whole scale alteration to the game may change that good old "Soma feel" I get from playing. Of course it would be fantastic to experience the game again as when it was new, exploring new maps, wondering if that Xenomorph will 1 hit me, getting blinded and confused in D3. But at the same time I now like the fact I know what I'm doing. P servers that have made lots of changes in the lvling guide just didn't float my boat as much as the bare bones ones. I can only speak for myself, but I would rather it left as is and hope there will be some excitement and adventure in newer content.

If you think about there changing the scale anyway( what mobs we will hunt and when) they have said there spacing out armor by(carnt remember exact %) 20% so each armor takes abit longer to get into, which is a good idea, it means everyone will not be in the exact same armor all the time, but it may mean you need quiet abit more str for defense to hunt monsters that you normally would. ie you may need about 75 str until you can comfortably tank trolls, so with this in mind they can either accept that or scale the mobs anyway, and if there gonna scale them, why not play with skins n spawn locations. they could scale the armors instead of mobs with better stats also,(ie def is abit better for each type of armor) meaning you could hunt shanis with alot less str. because you have better armor altho you need higher str to get in it anyway). Or you can space armor reqs out but not scale the armor or the mobs to suite and just acept that to hunt dw you need x amount of def, armor now has less def at higher levels so you need higher str in the same armor unit you can tank that mob with out taking to much damage, even if there better for str than you last mob but you simply just don't have the raw def to capitalize on them.....

basically when you changing the scale of the game may loose that good old soma feeling, you should know that scale has all ready been changed by this 1 simple change. and who knows you maybe right. people may not take to needing 70/80 n only been at trolls or an extra 15 or 20 str until you can attempt shanis(just examples) so if the skins/mobs scaled from fresh it would instantly stop all the complaints/ comparisons with any other server. because this is fresh and new

with separating armor abit, who knows which route they will pick. but the 'scale of the game' (which mobs you train at what str will be changed anyway) and thats a good thing. its the right call... but why stop there why stop at you know all the mobs, armors have changed you may need dif str/dex until you can fight them, why not make all the mobs brand new again and give us the incentive and rewards of exploring the game for are selves again.

that is why this idea is thrown around so much, because we all want that soma feeling back. only way we will get it if we have a fresh server that we don't know every step to take before we take them
kovaras
SD One Star
SD One Star

Postby ManCheck » Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:40 pm

Bare in mind we will have different tiers of each armour too, standard-hardened-rare-epic-intense. Not only will this bring variety to the drops it also give the market place a much needed boost too. Plus if you get lucky with drops you may be able to advance quicker through to the next mob. I really can not wait to play this.
ManCheck
SD Three Star
SD Three Star

Postby Joshy » Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:37 pm

Is there any chance of instead of just having the [epic] [hardend] being a change of colour but maybe a slight change in colour of the skin too? Maybe this could solve the whole 'everyone looking the same' problem in another thread...
Maybe not just throwing ideas out there...
Awaiting a decent long term official server...
Joshy
SD Pro 2 Star
SD Pro 2 Star

Postby Beansteality » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:35 pm

Joshy wrote:Is there any chance of instead of just having the [epic] [hardend] being a change of colour but maybe a slight change in colour of the skin too? Maybe this could solve the whole 'everyone looking the same' problem in another thread...

/Like
/ BEANSONTOAST
Beansteality
SD Two Star
SD Two Star

Postby iSylver » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:11 pm

Joshy wrote:Is there any chance of instead of just having the [epic] [hardend] being a change of colour but maybe a slight change in colour of the skin too? Maybe this could solve the whole 'everyone looking the same' problem in another thread...

Not easily no. Perhaps in the future but we also don't want a rainbow soma :P.

Contact ingame:
@iSylver
SOMADEV
iSylver
SomaDev Staff

Postby DazTheMe » Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:40 am

I agree with kov about having a new challenge, but remember, this is a long term server...it would a small amount of time to run around naked, noting down what mobs (if all changed) do what damage to you naked and testing the amount of exp per stat gained. More than anything it would be a mildly annoying then just like normal when you know what to hunt.

This server will be challenging in a way that esoma was when you first start. Barr is going to be rather scarce to start and hunting for drops/armours on probably an Esoma drop rate will be tough, the only reason soma has seemed so "easy" is because on P-servers the rates have been fast, the drops have been upped, items have been put in an npc and barr is dropped in its thousands.

I'm really looking forward to seeing everyone be in the same position with no help from higher levels to quickly develop another char......Seeing the first person in bone armour/invuln ect. it will literally be like playing soma for the first time again :D
DazTheMe
SD Three Star
SD Three Star

PreviousNext

Return to Suggestions & Problems